Thursday, February 26

Jamie Loren - Waiting for April


 “The first thing you need to know, though, is that you’re you, April. You might not have the memories, but you are all the same person. One person. Every time, you’re you.”


April Fletcher has died nineteen times... but she doesn't know it.

As far as April is concerned, she's just a normal seventeen-year-old, looking forward to spending spring break with her friends and going to college in the fall. April doesn't know she has never lived past her eighteenth birthday, nor does she realize that Scott Parker, her best friend, is actually her childhood sweetheart and fiancé from her very first life.

For nineteen-year-old Scott Parker, spending quality time with his soul mate has proved difficult ever since her tragic death in 1729. Since then he has lost her an additional eighteen times—each of her deaths more devastating than the last, and each of her births wiping the slate of her memory clean. Unable to save her but unwilling to give up, Scott has to hide the fact he's immortal—and will be until April confesses her love again.

But this time, things have changed. April has denied her feelings for him, is dating someone else, and with her eighteenth birthday fast approaching, their friendship is falling to pieces. Fearing their souls are irrevocably drifting apart, Scott must race against the clock to win her heart and save her life.

Or risk losing her forever.



I was given a digital copy for an honest review. 

I have mixed feelings toward Waiting for April. It was definitely an enjoyable read, meanwhile many things, starting from the plot to the characters, disappointed me. I can see this is going to be be a rather negative review but don't for a minute think that I didn't enjoy this novel because I certainly did. 

I don't think I've ever read a novel about reincarnation before - well, besides The Fallen series but I'd rather not remember that experience - but I still felt like I've read this story already. I have to admit that I didn't find the story really original and it was quite predictable but it still managed to hold my interest, which made me respect the author a lot. Honestly, how many novels have you encountered that you found a bit of a cliché but still really liked? Because I've read close to none, and for that I have to give credit to the author, who should be pretty successful in the future.

It was easy to read this book, I loved the writing style and I'm pretty sure it was one of the reason why I found the novel so enjoyable. My only problem was that I wasn't sure what genre this really belonged in. It was definitely an NA read due to some sexual scenes but at the same time I saw that on Goodreads most people shelved it as YA. And yes it had a very YA feeling to it, the characters were high-schoolers and it simply just didn't feel like a real new adult novel. I think both the story and the characters would be more suitable for younger readers, if only the sex scenes weren't there. But this might just be me. 

The romance wasn't an insta-love but I was a bit disappointed because we didn't get a better picture of their first life together which obviously started everything. While I did enjoy the romance it didn't even get close to my favorite ones. A great couple should have meaningful moments between them, moments that define their relationship and make them stand-out from other couples. April and Scott simply didn't have that. That is, besides a cute thing they did whenever one of them hurt the other. 


“Hi. I’m April Fletcher. I live next door.”
My heart swelled. It was a game we’d played for the last two years—an attempt to start over whenever harsh words were spoken—but I wasn’t going to let her off the hook so easily this time. I drew my eyebrows together and kept my attention on the road. 
“I know. I’ve seen you around.”
She shifted closer. “And?”
“And I’ve heard you’re a pain in the ass.”
She scowled. “No olive branch for you.” She shuffled back, but I caught her hand and lifted it to my lips.
“You’re a gorgeous pain in the ass, though.”

The characters didn't stand out from all the book characters I've read about but I still liked them. April was a great heroine who could really stand her ground but at the same time was able to apologize if she made a mistake. Scott was a strong hero who would have done anything to save April, even let her be with someone else. Again, shout out to the author who made me love these two even though they weren't really exceptional. 

Finally, I'd like to say that while this book definitely had some clichés in it, it's still an awesome read. Even though I wasn't too fond of the ending... But I asked Jamie Loren on GR and she said that there will be a sequel! YAY! I can't wait! :) 

Favorite character: April, Scott
Least favorite: Stella, Rowen

The story idea: 2/5
The realization of the story: 4/5
The characters: 3/5
The cover: 4/5
Enjoy factor: 4/5
Actual rating: 3,5

Have you read ever read a NA that felt more like a YA?

2 comments:

  1. I read an approximately two books about reincarnation before. It was The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August and My Name is Memory. I am always curious to read books about reincarnation and Waiting for April definitely pique my interest. However, it sounds more like a contemporary romance than a book that handles serious issues like reincarnation. So, I'm not sure if I want to read this book after all. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August sounds so freaking awesome, I've just added it to my TBR. I don't want to say that Waiting for April mainly concentrated on reincarnation but it was an important part of the novel. I think it wasn't that detailed, though, so if you're looking for a novel mainly about reincarnation this is not exactly for you. But the ending did surprise me, so that was a plus. It was so hard to rate this book. Let me know if you choose to read this book.

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)