Saturday, February 18

Short, Quick Reads To Get You Out Of That Mean Reading Slump


Struggling with a reading slump is something most bookworms go through at least once or twice a year, and it can be a bitch trying to get out of it. One thing I love to do when this happens is rereading, but as I've already wrote a post explaining why that can be the best thing ever I decided to share with you my second method of conquering those damned reading slumps.. It won't come as such a surprise after the title, but here it goes - I like to pick up short books that are said to be quick reads that'll have me on the edge of my seat. (This post is also useful for those who're behind on their Goodreads challenge and want to catch up, just saying.)

Now, I'll have two categories in this post - 1) books I read and loved, and 2) books that didn't work for me, but may work for you. I won't go into detail about any of the books, just simply write down how long they are. Of course, the number of pages may vary between different editions. 

The covers link to the book's Goodreads page.

Hope you'll find your next favorite read here! 




SHORT, QUICK READS I'D 100000% RECOMMEND:

ADULT:

   
|| A Christmas Carorl - 104 || Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - 144 || Can You Keep a Secret? - 218 || Captive Prince -  240 || (every book in the trilogy is under 300 pages)

   
|| The Picture of Dorian Gray - 254 || Obsession - 249 || And Then There Were None - 264 || Pride and Prejudice  - 279 ||

 
|| Still Alice - 292 || 

NEW ADULT: 

   
|| Up in Flames - 209 || Adrian Lessons - 243 || Ten Tiny Breaths - 262 || Killing Sarai - 268 || 

   
|| The Coincidence of Callie & Kayden - 283 || Find You in the Dark - 280 || Undecided - 300 ||

YOUNG ADULT:

   
|| Beauty and the Beast - 201 || The Poison Eaters -  212 || The Truth About Alice - 209 || The Catcher in the Rye - 230 ||

   
|| We Were Liars - 227 || Sweet Madness - 223 || The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight - 236 || Daughter Unto Devils - 231 ||

   
|| Decked with Holly - 244 || Art Geeks and Prom Queens - 240 || Saving Juliet - 256 || Carrie - 253 ||

   
|| Jinx - 262 || If I Stay - 261 || Enclave - 259 || When Lightning Strikes - 266 ||

   
|| All the Truth That's in Me - 274 || Clean - 272 || A Living Nightmare - 272 || Just One Wish - 272 ||

   
|| The Accident Season - 280 || The Merciless - 279 || Illusions of Fate - 278 || The Avery Shaw Experiment - 278 ||

   
|| Thirteen Reasons Why - 288 || Shadowland - 287 || The Blazing Star - 286 || Obsidian - 299 ||

 
|| The Originals - 296 || On the Fence - 296 || 

MIDDLE GRADE:

    

|| Coraline - 162 || A Monster Calls - 216 || Beastkeeper - 208 || Cinder & Ella - 254 ||



 

|| Out of My Mind - 295 || Butter - 294 ||

SHORT, QUICK READS THAT I WASN'T A FAN OF, BUT YOU MAY BE:

NEW ADULT:

 
|| Unhinge - 240 || Callum & Harper - 256 || 

YOUNG ADULT:

   
|| Sula's Voyage - 226 || Ruthless - 256 || Complicit - 256 || Last Year's Mistake - 256 || 

   
|| Slide - 250 || Dash and Lily's Book of Dares - 260 || I Was Here - 270 || The Girl from the Well - 267 ||

   
|| Some Like You - 281 || The DUFF - 280 || Say Her Name - 287 || This Is Where it Ends - 285 ||

 
|| Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock - 288 || This Song Will Save Your Life - 288 ||

MIDDLE GRADE:

 
|| A Curious Tale of the In-Betweens - 240 || Doll Bones - 256 ||


HAVE YOU READ ANY OF THESE BOOKS? DO YOU PLAN TO? WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE SHORT AND/OR QUICK READS?

16 comments:

  1. This is a great post! So many of us struggle with reading slumps lately, and it's just a matter of finding the right book for you. I second:
    - Can You Keep A Secret?
    - Cinder & Ella
    - On the Fence
    - Shadowland

    And I'll be reading Still Alice and The Avery Shaw experiment soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was really hoping it'd be helpful for people. Hope you'll enjoy those two!

      Delete
  2. This is so helpful!! It seems like I'm in a reading slump once a month lately, so it's always nice to have some quick reads to choose from. I especially want to read The Blazing Star anyways! Thanks Veronika!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad this turned out to be helpful! Ugh, that sounds awful - hope that'll change for you soon! The Blazing Star was great, really hope you'll enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. OMG! Can You Keep a Secret has got me out of so many reading slumps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a cute book! I think it was my first Sophie Kinsella novel. LOVED IT.

      Delete
  4. I liked The Originals a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, that was such a good book! It's a pity so few people have read it.

      Delete
  5. I've had The Girl in the Well on my TBR since it came out - or even before. So it didn't work out for you? I hope we won't agree on it like we did on The Creeper Man LOL.
    Nice idea for a post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to be a huge black sheep in this case, so I really hope you'll love it. Let me know when you pick it up. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Great post! I'm always looking for quick reads to aid my slumps. I've been in quite a few mini slumps recently. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Really hope this will be helpful for you in the future! :)

      Delete
  7. I do the same thing when I'm in a reading slump - with the addition that, usually, the book/s I read are romance. (Because romance books don't usually waste any time getting the story moving. And slow-to-start books are my bane when I'm in a reading slump.) I do second Beauty & the Beast by K.M. Shea - though, really, everything of he's I've read so far works wonders at getting me out of a slump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Romance books are awesome for reading slumps - they're fast-paced, fun and usually end happily, so there's no negative feeling when I close the book. I'll need to continue this series by K.M. Shea, because Beauty and the Beast was wonderful. :)

      Delete
  8. I really love Kelly Oram's books, too. They are the perfect light hearted YA. Great post, Veronika. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them, too -super-cute and fast reads, but not at all meaningless stories. Thank you!

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)