Monday, April 3

Freakishly Exciting YA Books Releasing in April 2017


Hello, everyone! While my April is going to be pretty hectic, full of studying and shit, because my exams start around the middle of May, I'm still pretty darn excited for this month, because of four super-duper awesome looking books releasing. I think it's pretty common for more Contemporaries to be released in the spring and summer time, which is totally showing on my list, as 3 of the 4 novels I can't wait for are lovely sounding Contemporary novels. 

Without further ado, let me introduce you to four YA books that sound like the perfect Spring and/or Summer reads. 



Classic movie buff Bailey “Mink” Rydell has spent months crushing on a witty film geek she only knows online by “Alex.” Two coasts separate the teens until Bailey moves in with her dad, who lives in the same California surfing town as her online crush.

Faced with doubts (what if he’s a creep in real life—or worse?), Bailey doesn’t tell Alex she’s moved to his hometown. Or that she’s landed a job at the local tourist-trap museum. Or that she’s being heckled daily by the irritatingly hot museum security guard, Porter Roth—a.k.a. her new arch-nemesis. But life is whole lot messier than the movies, especially when Bailey discovers that tricky fine line between hate, love, and whatever-it-is she’s starting to feel for Porter.

And as the summer months go by, Bailey must choose whether to cling to a dreamy online fantasy in Alex or take a risk on an imperfect reality with Porter. The choice is both simpler and more complicated than she realizes, because Porter Roth is hiding a secret of his own: Porter is Alex…Approximately.


Add to Goodreads

Pub date: April 4th

Why am I interested?

You guys, I love Cinder and Ella, loved it, and Alex, Approximately sounds quite similar to that one in some aspects, so that's a huge plus. But also, I simply need to know what the hell does it mean that Porter is Alex... Approximately. HOW CAN YOU BE SOMEONE APPROXIMATELY? I'm scared shitless of the angst, because me and angst are just not friends anymore, but I have my fingers crossed for cuteness and a hate-to-love relationship, which is a trope I'm always into, always. I know that makes 0 sense, bc hate-to-love usually = angst, but just roll with it. 

                                                               

Geek girl Elle Wittimer lives and breathes Starfield, the classic sci-fi series she grew up watching with her late father. So when she sees a cosplay contest for a new Starfield movie, she has to enter. The prize? An invitation to the ExcelsiCon Cosplay Ball, and a meet-and-greet with the actor slated to play Federation Prince Carmindor in the reboot. With savings from her gig at the Magic Pumpkin food truck (and her dad’s old costume), Elle’s determined to win…unless her stepsisters get there first.

Teen actor Darien Freeman used to live for cons—before he was famous. Now they’re nothing but autographs and awkward meet-and-greets. Playing Carmindor is all he’s ever wanted, but Starfield fandom has written him off as just another dumb heartthrob. As ExcelsiCon draws near, Darien feels more and more like a fake—until he meets a girl who shows him otherwise. But when she disappears at midnight, will he ever be able to find her again?


Add to Goodreads

Pub date: April 4th

Why am I interested?


Geekerella is apparently described as "Part romance, part love letter to nerd culture, and all totally adorbs" - which sounds FANTASTIC. I'm so ready for a bunch of adorkable characters after reading Queens of Geek by Jen Wilde (totes recommended to anyone looking for kickass, diverse and totally nerdy and cute characters).

                                                               

Seventeen-year-old Molly Peskin-Suso knows all about unrequited love. No matter how many times her twin sister, Cassie, tells her to woman up, Molly can’t stomach the idea of rejection. So she’s careful. Fat girls always have to be careful.

Then a cute new girl enters Cassie’s orbit, and for the first time ever, Molly’s cynical twin is a lovesick mess. Meanwhile, Molly's totally not dying of loneliness—except for the part where she is. Luckily, Cassie's new girlfriend comes with a cute hipster-boy sidekick. If Molly can win him over, she'll get her first kiss and she'll get her twin back.

There's only one problem: Molly's coworker, Reid. He's a chubby Tolkien superfan with a season pass to the Ren Faire, and there's absolutely no way Molly could fall for him.

Right?



Pub date: April 11th

Why am I interested?

Becky Albertalli (author of Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda) wrote it... need I say more than that? Simon was the perfect package - fantastic & diverse cast of characters, adorable romance and wonderful writing. And now we have a The Upside of Unrequited with an overweight MC (likely a love interest who's also overweight?) and F/F romance between two side characters. Will Becky Albertalli ever create something that's not pure awesomeness? I highly doubt it.

                                                               

Khosa is Given to the Sea, a girl born to be fed to the water, her flesh preventing a wave like the one that destroyed the Kingdom of Stille in days of old. But before she’s allowed to dance – an uncontrollable twitching of the limbs that will carry her to the shore in a frenzy – she must produce an heir. Yet the thought of human touch sends shudders down her spine that not even the sound of the tide can match.

Vincent is third in line to inherit his throne, royalty in a kingdom where the old linger and the young inherit only boredom. When Khosa arrives without an heir he knows his father will ensure she fulfills her duty, at whatever cost. Torn between protecting the throne he will someday fill, and the girl whose fate is tied to its very existence, Vincent’s loyalty is at odds with his heart.

Dara and Donil are the last of the Indiri, a native race whose dwindling magic grows weaker as the island country fades. Animals cease to bear young, creatures of the sea take to the land, and the Pietra – fierce fighters who destroyed the Indiri a generation before – are now marching from their stony shores for the twin’s adopted homeland, Stille.

Witt leads the Pietra, their army the only family he has ever known. The stone shores harbor a secret, a growing threat that will envelop the entire land – and he will conquer every speck of soil to ensure the survival of his people.

The tides are turning in Stille, where royals scheme, Pietrans march, and the rising sea calls for its Given.


Pub date: April 11th

Why am I interested?

I mean, it was written by Mindy McGinnis, author of two of my all time favorite books - A Madness So Discreet and The Female of the Species (though, I still haven't read Not a Drop to Drink by her #shameonme). I have to say, I'm a tad bit scared, because there are quite a few negative reviews, but I still hope I'll really enjoy this one given that I adore the author's writing style and she creates the bestest characters.

                                                               

What books are you guys looking forward to the most? Have you read any April books yet? SHARE!

12 comments:

  1. My friend Karen did like Alex, Approximately - I think her review might give you a good perspective of what you're going to dive into :)

    http://www.fwiwreviews.net/2017/03/review-alex-approximately-by-jenn.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm super-happy to see lots of positive reviews for this one. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so excited for The Upside of Unrequited! Becky writes SO WELL and I love the wit and charm she brings to her characters. That's sure to be one I'll like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! She was absolutely amazing in Simon, and this one sounds AMAZING, as well, plus it's already received so much positive feedback!

      Delete
  3. I am so with you on Alex, Approximately! I was at a bookstore yesterday and they already had it shelved. And I didn't buy it! Gah! I don't what was wrong with me but I ended up putting it back. Maybe I should go back today. LOL I read The Upside of Unrequited a couple weeks ago and LOVED it!

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TANYA, WHY haha. I can't wait to get my hands on it, because it sounds SO CUTE. So does The Upside of Unrequited - glad you enjoy this one!! :)

      Delete
  4. I read 3 of those, and they were great! So many good books!
    Sam @ WLABB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm so glad you loved them! April's gonna be a cute month.

      Delete
  5. I can't wait for Given to the Sea either! I just read A Madness So Discreet and I loved McGinnis' writing style. I'm hoping to read some of her other books soon too :)

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm so glad you enjoyed A Madness So Discreet! One of the best books ever, tbh. Hope you'll enjoy her others novels, too. :)

      Delete
  6. I'm so excited for all of these too! Probably most excited for Upside of Unrequited <3
    Megan @ http://wanderingsofabookbird.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I loved Simon, and have been waiting for Upside for SO LONG. Hope you'll enjoy all these!

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)