Thursday, May 11

5 Reasons To Read Alice by J.M. Sullivan, a Retelling Filled With Bravery,

"His head exploded. I’d never seen someone’s Head explode."

“Always protect your queen.”


Ever since the outbreak of the Plague, life hasn’t been easy, and for seventeen-year-old Alice Carroll, it just got worse. Her sister, Dinah, has contracted the ‘un-deadly’ Momerath Virus and without a cure, will soon be worse than dead. She’ll be momerath.

Alice must leave the safety of the Sector and venture into Momerath Territory to find the antidote - if it exists. Chasing a rumor about a mysterious doctor with the cure, Alice falls down the rabbit hole into Wanderland, where ravenous momerath aren’t the only danger lurking.







Huge thanks to J. M. Sullivan for providing me with a review copy. :)

1. EPIC FIGHT SCENES

Honestly, Alice turned out a lot bloodier and gorier than I initially expected - which I, obviously, LOVED. I'm usually ready to skip most fight scenes, because they can quickly get boring, but not here! There were tons of badass fight scenes, and ALL of them were done in a way that made me pay attention to what was happening and with whom. 

One tiny problem - I'm not quite sure how or when Alice learned to fight? She seemed to just know what to do, which is a bit over the top, in my opinion.  


2. STRONG HEROINE

Alice was SO kickass. I loved loved LOVED her strength and stamina, and was rooting for her all through the novel. Her persistence was seriously something I totally wish I had, because, damn, did that make her one huge force to be reckoned with. She was ready to do ANYTHING to save her sister, and even when she wasn't the one controlling a situation, she was so aware of everything that was happening, her mind working on what to do next.

One problem I had was how completely dominant Alice's character was - as in, I felt like there was little to no chance of getting to know the other characters, as the emphasize seemed to always be on Alice, even when, say, another character was talking about their life. So yep, the supporting cast could have better, but I have hopes for the sequel, because most of the characters are rather promising.

3. JUST A PROMISE OF FUTURE ROMANCE

You guys know I love a good romance, but even I think that some novels are honestly better off without a significant romance - Alice is such a novel. As it tells the story of Alice, a young girl who, on the verge of losing her sister, is fighting with everything she has, it'd have seemed completely unrealistic to see her dive into a relationship, or develop serious feelings for someone. It was fantastic to find a book that finally concentrates on the story and on other relationships than the romance. 

That said, there certainly is a suggestion of future love interests for Alice. Yep, you read that right, unfortunately, there may be a love triangle involved in the sequel, but everything I've seen so far made me trust in the author, so I'm not freaking out. Not totally, at least.

4. TOP-NOTCH WORLD BUILDING

The world building was just so freaking well-done. I was seriously in awe of how awesomely J. M. Sullivan managed to portray the dark, creepy atmosphere of Wanderland, aka a post-apocalyptic world filled with zombies. At this point zombies had been done so many times that it's kinda hard to create something new, but I certainly think that Sullivan managed to add her own ideas to the well-known mix. 



5. WELL DONE RETELLING

Moreover, the retelling was fantastically done. I was rather worried after being disappointed in a Alice in Zombieland, another YA retelling of Alice, because that book? Definitely didn't feel like a retelling. 

This novel, however, absolutely killed the Alice in Wonderland references. There were references to the White Rabbit, the Queen of Hearts and her soldiers, and I could go on, but I'd rather if you guys found it out for yourselves. Also, J. M. Sullivan managed to mix the quirky, weird atmosphere of the original with the dark and frightening zombie-world she created. 


ALL IN ALL

I'm super-satisfied with Alice. Sure, I mentioned a couple of problems I had, but overall, it was a wholly enjoyable novel with a fantastic main character and superb world-building.


The story idea: 4/5 
The realization of the story: 4/5
The characters: 3.5/5
The cover: 4.5/5
Enjoy factor: 4/5


FINAL RATING
❤️❤️❤️❤️

8 comments:

  1. This sounds so great! I haven't read many Alice in Wonderland retellings and this sounds like it's right up my alley! How can I possibly resist all the world-building and fighting?? :)

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You simply can't resist that. *heart eyes* Alice was just so kickass and fast-paced and awesome!

      Delete
  2. I saw this one on Net Galley but was hesitant because I have read quite a few Alice in Wonderland retellings, and I haven't been super impressed with many of them >.< Although I have to say that this one sounds pretty unique! I like the sound of how strong and badass Alice is, even if her character takes precedent over others.

    If I am looking for another Alice retelling to read it'll definitely be this one. I like ones that introduce their own, new elements to the story so it doesn't just feel like the original with a few changes.

    I hope you like the second book as much - if not more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like it's SO hard to do a good Alice in Wonderland retelling, because that story is a masterpiece and just super-unique. What I loved in this one was how uniquely the author utilized elements of the original while creating new things, as well. It was awesome. Hope you'll enjoy it if you read it! Thank you! :)

      Delete
  3. Hi! I loved finding all the Alice in Wonderland details in this one, too! :)
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this too! I agree about her knowing how to fight, but I also felt like she was as surprised as we were when her instincts took over and helped her fight - I hope we'll find out more about this in the next book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true! It'd be cool if there were some kind of explanation as to why she's naturally good at fighting.

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)