Tuesday, May 9

Ten Things I'd Love to See More of in Books


Hello lovelies! Today's Top Ten Tuesday (a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish) topic is something I'm excited to do, because it's about ten things I'd love to see more of in books, and, boy, are there MANY things I wish were more present in books. Let's jump right into these, shall we?

PS: Obviously, many of these ARE in some books, but I wish even MORE books had them. 




GIRLS SUPPORTING GIRLS & STRONG FEMALE FRIENDSHIP

Guys, why is it so popular to use the catty, jealous female trope? IT'S SO NOT REALISTIC. Obviously, there are women like that, but it's certainly not the majority. Please, staaph with this dumbass trope.

Book that does this well:
180 Seconds by Jessica Park

GREAT PARENTS

Of course we need books with bad parental figures, because, unfortunately, not everyone is blessed with great parents, but for fuck's sake, that's not EVERY parent. What more YA and NA books should be promoting is that you CAN trust in your parents, and that they WILL support you no matter what, because most parents are like that.

Book that does this well:
A List of Cages by Robin Roe

THERAPY POSITIVITY

In real life, at least where I live, there's certainly a stigma surrounding therapy, which is fucked up, because something that could potentially help someone is GOOD, and people should freaking understand that. I want books, especially YA and NA to promote therapy positivity and make teens all around the world see that there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with asking for help. 

Book that does this well:
Under Rose-Tainted Skies by Louise Gornall

MORALLY GRAY CHARACTERS

I mean, AREN'T THEY THE MOST FUN? Nuff said.

Book that does this well:
The Diabolic by S. J. Kincaid

OUTSIDE OF US SETTINGS

I like the US and all, but there are SO MANY amazing places around the world, and literally 99% of them are barely touched by authors. :( I want more books set in Africa, Canada, Australia, Scotland, Austria, Spain, Italy, France, Japan, Korea AND LITERALLY EVERY OTHER COUNTRY OF EVER. 

Book that does this well:
My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton and Jodi Meadows

RETELLINGS OF CLASSICS

I adore all types of retellings, to be honest, but retellings of classic books are a whole another matter, and they are rather few and far in between for some reason. 

Book that does this well:
Alice: The Wanderland Chronicles by J. M. Sullivan

DIFFERENT SOCIAL CLASSES

With the poverty rates it is rather ridiculous that most books I've read had somewhat well-off families, isn't it? 

Book that does this well:
I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios

SPORTS

I'm the least sporty person ever, that I can swear of, but there's something fascinating about reading about sports, especially those that I personally don't know much about. ALSO, if it is written well, it can encourage readers to try said sport, which is a HUGE help. 

Book that does this well:
My Sister Rosa by Justine Larbalestier

NERDY CHARACTERS WHO ARE PROUD TO BE NERDS

Leave me alone with the trope of nerds being ashamed of being nerdy and feeling miserable. Give me characters who are incredibly proud to be themselves, to be nerds, to be huge fans of something. 

Book that does this well:
Queens of Geek by Jen Wilde

BOARDING SCHOOLS

They've always seemed like TONS of fun, especially the magical/supernatural types like Hogwarts.

Book that does this well:
Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead


LET'S TALK!

What are your favorite books that have one or more of the things I want to see more of? What do YOU want to see more of in books? Share!

26 comments:

  1. Great list. Great parents and therapy positivity- totally agree. I do want to read Under Rose- Tainted Skies- heard it was very good. And defionitely more non- US settings- I'd love to read books set in any of those countries you listed (especially Canada, Australia, France...)

    Proud nerds and Queens of Geek *nods* and yeah boarding schools- how do those never get old lol?

    And good point about different social classes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Under Rose-Tainted Skies really is fantastic! Man, IDEK about boarding schools - I wouldn't even want to attend one myself, but reading about them is always fun.

      Delete
  2. I can agree with so many of your points! I'm totally up for strong female friendships. I hate that there's so much cattiness in stories. :-) Fabulous list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great list of wishes! I love retellings of classics (I would read them then!) and different social classes because I didn't think of those but totally agree... It wasn't as hard to get my own 10 wishes as I initially thought it would be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Same! I feel like there are just so many things that the majority of books don't explore which is a shame.

      Delete
  4. I'll always want more boarding school books as well!! AND morally gray characters, YES!! I love books about characters that have major flaws.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same about both! Perfect characters are so unrealistic.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful list! I especially agree with Great Parents. I've come across too many books with horrible parents in them. I'd love to see something more positive. Here is my Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, me too. I think it'd be really important to show both great and awful parents + every shade in between those two.

      Delete
  6. I would so love to see great parents in more books. I don't understand why this is so rare! Boarding schools made my list too.
    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to both! And boarding schools are understandable on so many lists today! They are cool.

      Delete
  7. Great list!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/05/09/top-ten-tuesday-106/

    ReplyDelete
  8. YES to healthier female friendships/relationships. Believe it or not, not every girl out there wants your boyfriend! I get so sick of that trope.

    I'm also for more platonic friendships between the sexes. Not every BFF is in love with you romantically and I wish that was elaborated more in literature--especially the romances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PREACH - so agree with everything you said.

      Delete
  9. Oh man. I am getting all emotional, because you mentioned 180 seconds. *tears* I read Everything All at Once on Sunday, and it hits a lot of your list items (positive female friendship, great parents, therapy positive). I feel like I am seeing much better parents lately, and even more books with varying socioeconomic status. Great list. I love all these things.
    Sam @ WLABB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loooove 180 Seconds so damn much. *sobs* Ooh, that sounds really good! Will have to check it out. Thanks!

      Delete
  10. I could definitely go for some more proud nerdy characters. Also, I love morally grey characters as well. Great list!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  11. What I wouldn't give for great parents in YA! :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know how many times I will scream outloud how necessary good female frienships are!!! even female authors make the mistake to always put female characters against each other. It's so bloody frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR? It's so freaking annoying and the "everyone's a bitch, BUT the MC" is unrealistic as hell.

      Delete
  13. YES to girls supporting girls. Also YES to 180 Seconds, Allison and Steffi were gorgeous. Female friendships are one of my favourite things it books. I don't know about everyone else but I've always had the most amazing girls by my side and I love to see that in books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm sooo glad you loved their friendship, too! It was SO gorgeous.

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)