Saturday, May 13

The Eurovision Book Tag


I'm pretty certain a lot of you guys know that I'm from Hungary, but I don't think I've talked about my obsession with Eurovision on the blog before. If that really is the case then imagine me shaking my head super-hard right now, because I'm so in love with the Eurovision Song Contest that it's one of my biggest goals in life to attend it at least once.

The time has FINALLY come for me to flail about Eurovision, because, based on the idea of Clare from Dual Reads, she, Ann - her sister and co-blogger - and I have created this fantastic book tag that flawlessly mashes together two of the best things ever, books and Eurovision. 

To be able to repeat doing this tag again next year, I'm going to include books I read in 2017 so far - Clare is doing the same thing, while Ann is choosing from a wilder range of books. Go ahead and check out their post here.


Abba - Waterloo
A debut novel that blew you away


The Hate U Give is hands down one of the best books I've ever read - and will ever read, to be honest - and Angie Thomas is definitely one of the most talented authors out there. I do believe I'm not the only one who put her right onto my auto-buy authors list before being halfway through THUG, because her storytelling skills are absolutely gorgeous, as are her characters and writing. 

Bucks Fizz - Making Your Mind Up
 A plot twist you never saw coming!


The plot twist in My Sister Rosa by Justine Larbalestier. I was super-into the book from the very first moment - I mean, narrated by a teenage boy whose little sister is a psychopath? How could that be NOT amazing? - but the plot twist made everything even better. Seriously, READ IT, you guys!

Dustin the Turkey - Douze Point
Er...What just happened? A book that left you feeling confused.


Hold Back the Stars by Katie Khan for sure, because a) where the fuck was the world building, b) what the heck was that ending, c) why did many people enjoy it??, d) was this YA, NA or Adult?? NO ONE KNOWS. I'm a ball of confusion when it comes to this book, let me tell you. 

See my review for more info on why it's just... not good.

Alexander Rybak - Fairytale
A fairy tale retelling you cant help but love


Alice: The Wanderland Chronicles by J. M. Sullivan, which is a super-badass Alice in Wonderland retelling that reused well-known elements of the original cleverly. I reviewed it here

Johnny Logan (three time Eurovision winner)
A Book/Series you thought was finished but it just kept coming back


Doesn't necessarily "keep coming back" (although, WHO KNOWS, maybe that'll be the case?), but when I started Wintersong by S. Jae Jones I 1000% thought it was a standalone. I only realized that it'll have a sequel/companion around like, halfway through? I was SO DISAPPOINTED. Well, not as disappointed as I was by the ending, but, ya know, still felt let down, because Fantasy standalones are SO RARE, and I love them so much.

Timebelle - Apollo
A book that deserves more love.


Queens of Geek by Jen Wilde FOR SURE. As I'm writing this post it has less than 900 ratings, which makes me the saddest nugget right now. :( It's not only one of the most adorable novels ever, but it's also very diverse, and it takes place at a bookcon, aka, the dream place for any bookworm.

See my totally fangirl-y review here.

Lena Meyer - Satellite 
A really sweet contemporary romance


Geekerella by Ashley Poston - even though, it reminded me of Cinder & Ella (and nope, not just the retelling parts, duh), I can't deny that it's an über-adorable contemporary novel, also, it was diverse AND the retelling elements were magnificent. 

Lordi - Hard Rock Hallelujah
A really unique fantasy world


The world of The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden, simply because there were tons and tons of unique creatures from Russian folklore, painted in interesting and new ways.

Loreen - Euphoria
A powerful book that left you breathless



Definitely The Diabolic by S. J. Kincaid totes left me breathless with all the backstabbing, cunning, lies and dark, morally gray characters it offered. Seriously, there really were so many surprises and shocking moments that it was hard to catch my breath. 

And now, three 'bonus' questions that aren't connected to the contestants:

Peace Peace, Love Love
A book that has everything


So, I really didn't know what to pick for this one, because, damn, I've read quite a few fantastic books so far this year, but in the end, I decided next to the Lady Julia Gray by Deanna Raybourn series, as it's just superb. Historical Fiction, lovely romance, unique and well-developed AND complex characters, some of the most interesting mysteries I've ever read, and it also has diverse characters. #inlove

12 Points
A book that stood out as the best


Another hard one, but I'm going to go with A List of Cages by Robin Roe, aka a gorgeously written novel, filled with great friendship, family and some of the most kickass characters ever. 

A Book With Great LGBTQ+ Representation

The Melody of You and Me by M. Hollis is the book that comes to my mind, because it has SO MANY wonderful qualities. The MC is pansexual, her love interest is a lesbian Filipino, and the whole book is filled with diversity and all the cuteness. Super-underrated, awesome-sauce NA novella.

                                                               

Well, that's it for now, but I really-really hope some of you will end up doing this tag, because I'd love to see all your answers! Also, don't forget, tonight is the final of Eurovision, and there are quite a few fantastic songs in the contest this year, so it's definitely worth checking out! And if we're at it - may I recommend Hungary? ;) Not my favorite song of this year, but certainly unique. 


I'M ACTUALLY TAGGING PEOPLE THIS TIME!

Kerr & Rachel @ Paein and Ms4Tune
Roberta @ Offbeat YA 
(Roby, I know you don't do tags & don't even like Eurovision, but I decided to just ignore that, because I'm EXCITED about the final, ok?)


Welp, this is all the European bloggers I know - but I'm also tagging literally everyone else who wants to do it!

6 comments:

  1. Geekerella was so precious. Totally loved it! I have heard so many good things about Queens of the Geek. I hope to read it soon, and I will definitely be reading a List of Cages because (a) they have it on Hoopla, so no excuses, I can borrow it, and (b) it has been getting so much praise, I must read it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it totally was! Ooh, do read QoG- it's incredibly adorable and fun and such a quick read! Also, A List of Cages is certainly one of my top reads of 2017, and that says a lot.

      Delete
  2. Ha! I don't even watch the Sanremo Festival, go figure ;D. The reasons are too boringly complex to state them here, plus I don't want to rain on your parade. Enjoy Euro, and I hope you'll be able to attend one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tag! I had such a great time last night watching Eurovision and I actually really liked Hungary's song but my absoulute favourite was Italy's. It super fun and you can't help but dance to it. This is also the first time I was rooting for Spain to be last and we managed it (yay!) our song was shit and our singer a douche. He deserved last place. And I was happy for Portugal until he opened his mouth at the end and basically insulted the contest in a not-so very subtle way considering most songs are empty and disposable (maybe he doesn't remember Ukraine's song last year, or Italy's this year as well as last and many others but well... at least Portugal is near Spain and I might just try to go and attend it *fingers crossed*)
    Which was your favourite song?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Yay, that makes me happy! SAME, Italy's song was so freaking good, and I thought it'd have been fun to see Italy host Eurovision next year. I didn't hate the Spanish song, but he really screwed up a few notes in the final, which was so disappointing. Yeah, I didn't like Portugal's song, tbh, but what really ruined it was Salvador's 'better than thou' attitude... Eek, that's exciting! I hope you can attend & then tell me everything!! Besides Italy I loved France, Azerbaijan, UK and The Netherlands. :D

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)