Tuesday, September 26

Top Ten #OwnVoices Novels I've Read in 2017

Original photo by Albertus Galileo

I know the title seems like I strayed a bit from the original topic - books that feature characters                - but, technically, I didn't. I think most of you know this, but for those who don't - #OwnVoices means that a book about a marginalized person (or group) is written by an author of the same marginalization(s). There's been an increase in diverse and #ownvoices novels lately - even though, that increase could and should still be much-much bigger - and I've read quite a few this year. 

On this list, I'm going to showcase my favorites - some are more popular, some are less well-known, but all of these are fantastic. So let's get right onto them, shall we? 



   
   
 

Have you read any of these novels? What were your favorite Own Voices novels that you've read in 2017? 



14 comments:

  1. Love THE HATE U GIVE and BURN BABY BURN and agree that they have their own voices. My TTT related to Banned Books this week

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Queens of Geek! And Dimple and Rishi seems to be getting so much love, so many good reviews, I've added that one as well. Sounds like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D&R didn't EXACTLY live up to my expectations, to be totally frank, buuut it was a good, cutesy book that is, obviously, important for Desi teens especially, so I'm glad it did well.

      Delete
  3. All these novels look great... unfortunately I have not red any of these but adding these to my list to read them in future.. :-)
    Beauty and fashion

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great list. The Hate U Give and When Dimple Met Rishi were wonderful stories. I'm curious about Burn Baby Burn, too.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday Post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They sure were, and omg, Burn Baby Burn is fantastic, hope you'll like it!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. YES, you totally do! It was fantastic.

      Delete
  6. Dimple & Rishi own a piece of my heart. I want a sequel to Genie Lo (it could totally happened based on that ending), and Last Seen Leaving was fabulous. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good news - I saw the author answer to someone on GR that he is currently working on the sequel for Genie! :D Thank you!

      Delete
  7. I love that you swapped the theme around to feature #ownvoices books! The more we talk about them the more people are interested and (hopefully) the more they are published :D

    I really loved Last Seen Leaving when I read it, too! It was such a great mystery/thriller, and I thought the romance was adorable.

    Some of my favourite 3ownvoices books I've read this year are Peter Darling by Austin Chant (trans retelling of Peter Pan!), History Is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera, and The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee. They were all different but all so awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Omg, yes, the romance in Last Seen Leaving was amazing, I shipped the characters so much. OMG, YES, I LOVE PETER DARLING - I realized it AFTER posting this post that I totally forgot to include it here *hides* Also, The Gentleman's Guide is one of my favorites of this year, as well.

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)