Tuesday, September 12

Would I Still Enjoy These Books I Loved Three Years Ago? Let's See!

Original photo by Scott Webb

Hello everyone!! After a bit of thinking, I decided to put a small twist on today's Top Ten Tuesday (weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish) topic. First, as the topics suggests I will go back and write down the first ten books I reviewed on the blog that I rated 4 or 5 stars. I will tell you how I felt about these books, even share quotes from my reviews.

Step 2 - and this is the part that has me excited! - will be me telling y'all if I still feel the same way about these books or no. I mean, nostalgia is nice and all, but let's be honest, it is very likely that some of the books I gushed over around three years ago will make me cringe real hard today.

Let's get started. 



Wish You Were Dead 
by Todd Strasser




"I absolutely loved this book, it was one of the most unique ones I've ever read."


BACK THEN: I had a pretty limited reading experience in the mystery genre back when I wrote my review for this, so me calling Wish You Were Dead, aka one of my first mystery novels ever, super-unique was richOn a side note, in my review I kept saying how "realistic" the story was, which it really isn't?? I don't even know what made me think that.

NOW: I might still enjoy this one today?? I don't remember much of it, to be honest, but it was a very quick read and the reveal of the killer was shocking, yet it made sense. I'd probably rate it 3 or less stars.




                                                       

Lila and Ethan: Forever and Always
by Jessica Sorensen


"I was rooting for them since their first encounter and in many ways I love them more than Ella and Micha."


BACK THEN: I was a HUGE fan of Sorensen's and I actually liked Lila and Ethan more than Ella and Micha, so this last short story about them was something I was really looking forward to. I rated it 5 stars, but I do remember feeling just a little let down by certain things. 

NOW: I don't think I'd enjoy this series very much today. I grew to hate drama and this series is so full of relationship drama that it's unbelievable. That said, Lila and Ethan are still dear to my heart. They're just one of those couples that, despite their differences, work so well together.



                                                       

Be With Me 
by Jennifer L. Armentrout


"I liked this book a lot, still there were parts that were too much. Like the parts that were intended to be mysterious and suspenseful, but weren't well made enough and they didn't really fit into the story."


BACK THEN: As you can see from this and the previous book, this was my New Adult era, the first time I discovered NA novels, and I looooved them. The Wait for You series was one of my favorite series out there, and I was recommending it left and right.

NOW: Nothing has changed, really, I still love this series - albeit the last book WAS cringy as fuck - but I still recommend the series to those who are looking for good NA Romances. 





                                                       

Making Faces
by Amy Harmon


"This book wasn't what I thought it would be, it was so much more. I loved every minute of reading it because it was sweet and had lovely characters."


BACK THEN: This book was HUGE around the time I picked it up, and it impressed me quite a bit. The romance was cute, I liked Fern and it felt different from other books I read before. But, to be honest, even then I had quite a few problems with the book, and what made me rate it 4 stars instead of 3 was likely the hype. 

NOW: Gah, it gives me all the negative feelings, AND I CAN'T EVEN EXPLAIN WHY. No, it wasn't really bad, but the more time passes by, the worse it seems. Especially the romance is what bothers me, to be honest. It's like, Amrbose had to be scarred to realize that beauty is more than skin deep? And also, it is stated that Fern is "pretty" now, so would he even like he if she wasn't universally acknowledged as attractive? Meh.

                                                       

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown
by Holly Black


"Considering everything I love this story even if there were definitely cliches in it and the characters weren't always likable."


BACK THEN: My first ever - and probably least favorite - Holly Black book. I really liked it, it was super-weird and unique, definitely stood out from other popular YA titles of the time, even if it was using the vampire trope. 

NOW: I still love this, and would 100% love it if I were to pick it up for the first time now - maybe even more so than I did back then. I just adore how Holly Black is able to pick any topic that's been done before and make it incredibly special and outstanding. 




                                                       

Wild Cards
by Simone Elkeles


"This book blew me away, it was captivating from the first page to the last."


BACK THEN: Still in my NA era, I read every single book Simone Elkeles had published, and this one was my last one, I believe. I liked it A LOT, but I didn't feel like it lived up to Perfect Chemistry, which was one of my favorite series at that time. 

NOW: I don't know why I loved Elkeles's books so much?? They are okay, but nothing to be in love with, in my opinion, especially not this one. I never even ended up continuing this series, because the second book's pub date was pushed back various times and it didn't receive a ton of hype. (I don't only read hyped books, I swear! But the second book was basically just forgotten by everyone, at least me.)


                                                       

These Broken Stars
by Meagan Spooner and Amy Kaufman


"(...) usually I hate sci-fi, but this completely blew me away with all the twists and cute parts. I’m still amazed and I’m really looking forward to the next book of the trilogy even if it won’t be about these two amazing characters."


BACK THEN: I really wasn't into Sci-Fi books at the time - I'm not truly a fan now either, but I like them more than back then - yet the hype for this was big enough to pull me in. I mean, Titanic on a spaceship, BUT WITH A HAPPY ENDING?? Gimmie. And I did love it, I could barely contain my excitement until the sequel. 

NOW: I still love this series, and I still follow both author's books - the Illuminae Files (Kaufman) are fantastic, but so was Hunted (Spooner) - AND I can't wait for their new series that they are co-writing TOGETHER. The dream team is working together again! *flails*



                                                       

Dorothy Must Die 
by Danielle Paige


"This book blew my mind. It was so amazingly written and so different from the usual fantasies that I fell in love with it at the very beginning."


BACK THEN: I loved how dark this retelling was, and I really adored every single aspect - the characters, the romance, the plot, the world building. It was an easy 5 star read, and I couldn't possibly have been more pumped for the sequel. 

NOW: Well, since then Danielle Paige went to my "no-thanks" list due to her support for Kathleen Hale. Just... no, please. Me not continuing the series for that reason turned out to be a very good thing, because most fans of the series were severely disappointed in the sequels.




                                                       

The Catcher in the Rye
by J. D. Salinger




"I read the first page and was completely captivated."


BACK THEN: In 99% of the cases if you saw me with a classic in my hand, I was reading it for school. The Catcher in the Rye is one of the few classics I picked up on my own back then, the book that convinced me to give more classics a chance, because it was THAT good. 

NOW: Still love it just as much as I did when I first read it!! 







                                                       

Cobweb Bride
by Vera Nazarian



"Vera Nazarian created a very interesting story despite a weak start and she made all the characters come together {following their own subplots} without making it unbelievable."


BACK THEN: I struggled with this book, to tell you the truth. The writing style was hard to read and the story started very slowly. BUT I got really into the plot by the end of the novel, and was a fan of the overall atmosphere and characters. 

NOW: I'm really not sure how I feel! There were so many details in this one that I can't recall, including most of the characters. *hides* But... I think I might like it today, as well? Maybe I wouldn't give it 4 stars, only 3, but I don't think I'd hate this.



What are some books you've read years ago, but still love just as much? Do you have any that you used to be a fan of, but now can't stand?

Leave me a link to your TTTs!



28 comments:

  1. I wasn't too fond of The Catcher in the Rye. I also read it on my own, not for school, but I just didn't understand it. The book I absolutely know that I would not enjoy now would be TFIOS. I don't know what 12 year old me was thinking becoming obsessed with that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, that's sad, but I think it's one of those books that you either really love or just dislike. HAHA, YES TFIOS! I actually tried rereading it a while ago, and could not do it. ALSO, by the time the movie came out the hype had ruined it for me.

      Delete
  2. The only Jennifer L. Armentrout books I've read are her Lux books, but I'm not sure if I'd still enjoy them because they can be pretty cheesy sometimes. I used to be a huge Twilight fan back when I first read it but I started to grow out of it by the time I got to Breaking Dawn.

    Great list!

    Louise - Exploring by Starlight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do still love the Lux books, because they can cheer me up any day, but, yeah, they are SUPER-CHEESY. Same about Twilight - although I think I was just plainly disappointed in BD, and only fell out of love with the whole saga by the time the last two movies came out. Thank u!

      Delete
  3. Wish You Were Dead looks freaky and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I have changed a lot in my book tastes over the years. When I was in my early twenties, I read nothing but science fiction. Old science fiction. From the 30's and 40's. I don't think I would reread any of that and love it now!

    https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2017/09/the-first-books-i-had-on-my-bookshelf.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, I can relate. My tastes can change SO FAST, tbh. Of course there my "Twilight era" where I ate up all paranormal romance books I could find... and then the time when I loved any and every NA romance I read.

      Delete
  5. This is such a cool topic idea, I may have to borrow it next time we have a freebie week!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/09/12/top-ten-tuesday-124/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to see your picks for this. :)

      Delete
  6. I like your spin on this week's topic! It is interesting how our tastes change over the years. Here is my Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, I loved the twist you put into this TTT. I haven't read any of these books (a couple I hadn't even heard about before?!) and I don't plan to, but your post was fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S.: you need to have Ruzi come out of her hiding spot. Uni, bah. She's making EXCUSES ;P ;P ;P.

      I'm snarky today LOL. Love you Ruzi!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! She'll be back very soon.

      Delete
    3. HAHAHA Roby. You may be right, but then again you may not :D I'm not really making excuses, uni has been pretty taxing the past few weeks, and there was some family stuff that took up my time too, but I'll be back soonish! :P <3

      Delete
  8. This is a great twist on the theme. It's interesting to see how our tastes grow and change as we age and read a larger variety of books.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a Starbound fan, so I am glad you still like These Broken Stars. Paige is just too angsty for me. I read Catcher in the Rye in like 1986 (?) for my english class, and I just found Holden so unlikeable. I love what you did with this week's theme. Very ingenious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the trilogy & the authors. Can't wait for their new book. Oh, haha, I actually liked him which might say something about my character haha. Thank you. :D

      Delete
  10. Great take on this week's topic! It's interesting to look back and see what stands the test of time for us and what doesn't. Armentrout's Wait For You series is one that I still love. Say what you will about her books, she just has a way of creating characters and stories that suck me right in. I still adore Cam and Avery hardcore. :) It's even quite a while since I read The Coldest Girl in Coldtown but I think I would still enjoy it just as much. That was such a visual reading experience for me. Black managed to make the world (and specifically the Coldtown) come alive for me and it was like I was watching a movie the whole time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! True about JLA! Her books can sometimes be really cheesy, but they are so addictive and with their humor and lightness stand out in any genre, I think. Yes! I think that's one of Holly Black's huge talent- she creates some of the most vivid settings and stories, and some truly iconic characters.

      Delete
  11. These Broken Stars was such a pleasant surprise! :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I didn't know what to expect but it was so good. :)

      Delete
  12. Oh I LOVE your take on this topic! Because... yeah, GOOD question, would we even still like them? I have thought a lot about this, I know as I have read more, my ratings have become... tougher. I love the ones that you don't think you'd even like now, because I totally have those too! Part of me wants to go back and re-rate them all but who has the time hah?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel you on changing ratings. I want to go back, but then I'd have to go back and reconsider EVERYTHING, and I don't have time/patience for that now. Plus, I did love them back then, so it's questionable if I should change the rating because of my feelings for them NOW?

      Delete
  13. I actually dread to think what I would think about some of the books I read a few years ago now. Much like you, I went through a NA phase and I loved Armentrout's NA series even though it was crazy ridiculous and now I would probably cringe at some of it. I think the series has become one of those guilty pleasure series for me. And I actually only read Coldest Girl in Cold Town this year and adored so glad to hear you would still love it now. Holly Black is one of those authors that can write any genre well, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, tbh. Seeing some of the titles makes me want go back and rate them down, but that'd take way too much effort, and then what? Should I go back every few years? Haha, yes, Wait for You is def ridiculous, esp as the series progresses, but it's also a lot of fun. I agree! I love Holly Black so much. Although, can you imagine HER writing a NA novel? :'D

      Delete

Your comments are what keep us going so we take the time to reply to each and every one you leave for us. We'll always try our best to visit your blogs and leave a comment for you in return. :)